Marrying a Chinese Woman: Things to Know, Pros & Cons
Want to learn more about Chinese culture? Want to date a Chinese woman but don’t know if it’s a good idea? Don’t know where to start? Here, we’ll answer all of your questions and help you understand Chinese people better.
5 interesting facts about marrying a Chinese woman
- China is one of the most popular countries for American men regarding international marriages. There were 1,135 (1,346 with Taiwan) mail order brides from China in 2019, which makes China the third most popular mail bride country in the region (surpassed only by the Philippines and Vietnam).
- It looks like Chinese citizens are less interested in getting married than, say, Americans—the marriage rate in this country is 5.4 marriages per 1,000 people, while in the United States, it’s 6 marriages per 1,000 people. The reasons are clear: increasing costs of marrying and raising a family, as well as the financial freedom of Chinese women, which they don’t want to sacrifice.
- The divorce rate in China is 2.01 (divorces per 1,000 population), which is constantly increasing. However, it’s still lower than that of the United States, with 2.5 divorces/1,000 people. It’s mostly about financial reasons—according to analysts, both Chinese economic growth and economic recession could drive up the divorce rates.
- According to China’s Ministry of Civil Affairs, the fertility rate in this country is 1.3 children per woman, which is lower than that of the US (1.6). According to other sources (not the government’s official information), the Chinese TFR is even lower than that (1.18). Even though the government of the People’s Republic of China implemented its Three-Child policy in 2021 (Chinese couples now can have 3 children), the situation hasn’t changed yet—Chinese ladies tend to have fewer children than ever. The reasons are clear: financial problems, a zero-COVID policy that places hard restrictions on the population, and cultural changes. Chinese girls, especially highly-educated urban residents, no longer regard marriage and parenthood as essential aspects of life.
- Chinese women are in no hurry to get married and have children. The mean childbearing age is 28.6 years old, and the average age at first marriage in mainland China is 27.9 years old for women.
Where to find a Chinese woman for marriage
Chinese international dating sites (1-3)
Chinese dating sites are websites where you can meet thousands of Chinese women. We are not talking about sites like WeChat or Momo here—there’s nothing to do there if you are not a fluent Chinese speaker.
The Chinese dating sites we’re talking about here are sites like EasternHoneys, TheLuckyDate, and AsianMelodies: these sites were created for Chinese ladies interested in meeting foreign men. These websites offer more security features (such as ID verification) than the sites for Chinese people only, and they usually have more messaging tools (live chat, email, etc.). Typically, these sites are paid, but this is easy to explain: they have more security and messaging features, they typically have a professional customer support team, and they need money to make it work.
It’s one of the most popular niche dating websites in China, but it’s not only about the number of profiles. Their quality is just perfect, and the response rate is extremely high, which makes this website the #1 option for those interested in dating a woman from China.
This platform is worth your time, too. What we love most about this site is its interface: it’s modern and incredibly intuitive, and the mobile version of the site is just great. The welcome bonus is worth mentioning, too.
ID verification minimizes the risks of meeting a fake profile—of course, we can’t say that there are no fake profiles on this site, but we can safely say that their number is as low as possible here. In addition, the customer support team is highly professional and ready to help any user ASAP.
Chinese mail order bride sites (4-6)
Mail order bride websites are dating platforms for those interested in a serious relationship. That’s the main difference from Chinese dating sites: on mail order bride platforms, it’s easier to find a marriage-minded woman who would love to get married to a foreigner. Another difference is that these platforms often offer even more messaging tools, such as video and voice calls.
A perfectly easy-to-use interface, a nice mobile version, a lot of free credits for new users, and thousands of detailed profiles—this dating platform is certainly worth visiting. You’ll love the response rate and the quality of female profiles here.
If you think that text messages are not enough, this platform is exactly what you need. Voice calls, gifts delivery, video chat—there are lots of extra features here, and that’s what makes this dating app stand out from the crowd.
This dating platform has a lot of messaging tools (such as a video chat), but it’s not the only advantage of this site. What we liked most about it was the response rate: all the female members are very active on this platform, which makes the dating experience much more pleasant and enjoyable.
Pros & cons of marrying a Chinese woman
Negative stereotypes drive some people: they say Chinese women are gold diggers who are too controlling and demanding. This is not true, of course. The others are driven by positive stereotypes: they say that Chinese women are perfect, obedient, shy, and so on. This is not 100% true, either.
If you want to know the truth, you’ve come to the right place. Let’s talk about the real pros and cons of marrying a Chinese woman.
- Chinese women are loyal. Being faithful to a husband has traditionally been one of the core values for Chinese women, and they do definitely respect the traditions.
- They are very smart and interesting to talk to. If you’re dating a Chinese woman, you’ll never feel bored with her. They are also well-educated, so they can keep any conversation going!
- They are humble and calm. It’s one of the core things in Chinese culture: traditionally, humility is one of the seven virtues appropriate to women in this country.
- They are pretty conservative about gender roles. This doesn’t mean they are obedient and shy, of course—this just means they are more feminine and conservative than Western women.
- They may be quite demanding. Of course, in some places, there’s still the “bride price,” but even if you don’t have to pay, you still should have enough money to provide for a family (or for two families). It’s not that they are gold diggers, but they want their partners to be financially stable.
- Their entire family will be involved in your relationship, and you won’t have to wait for your wedding day to feel it. This may initially feel like huge pressure from her Chinese parents, but then, you’ll love it.
- The language and culture barriers will be a problem. We highly recommend you read at least several guides on Chinese culture before you go there and start dating them. It’s easy to screw up in a foreign country, and we believe that’s not what you’re looking for.
Of course, these are just a few general points because every Chinese bride has her own character and values, but now you know a little more about them.
Process of marrying a Chinese woman
Interested in marrying a Chinese in the US? Then, continue reading. Here, you’ll find a step-by-step guide on how to meet a Chinese woman online and bring her to the United States.
- First, choose a trusted dating website. Read all the reviews you can find and always test the sites yourself in order to find the best one.
- Then, make sure the profiles are real on that site. Are all those Asian women on that platform real? Do Chinese people send messages that look real? Are they interested in an IRL date, or will they only chat with you forever? Is there an ID verification tool on the site?
- Set up your profile and start chatting! Be respectful, be straightforward, use all the messaging tools available on a dating app, and remember the welcome bonus: most dating sites offer free credits/a free trial period for new users.
- Meet her IRL. You can chat for years without any real dates, but if you’re searching for a real relationship, don’t waste your time.
- Bring her to the US. There are two types of visas for international marriages: K-1 and CR-1. The first one is a bit faster and cheaper, but with a CR-1 visa, your Chinese wife can start working in the US after her arrival. With a K-1 visa, she’ll have to get a Green card and become a permanent resident first. There are some other differences (for example, for a CR-1 visa, you’ll need to provide a marriage certificate). Still, the main one is that with a K-1 visa, you marry your Chinese bride in the US, and with a CR-1 visa, you marry her in China before her arrival.
Following these simple steps, you can meet your soulmate and marry a wonderful Chinese woman very soon.
Marrying a Chinese woman is definitely a great idea. These women are incredibly loyal and traditional, they are family-centered, they make perfect wives, they are extremely attractive, and if we wanted to list all the reasons why Chinese women are worth it, we would probably spend a whole day talking about it. But if you’re genuinely interested in dating a Chinese girl, you don’t need to read thousands of guides—you just need to do it. Just choose a dating app, sign up, and find a wife—the process is slightly more complex than that, of course, but it’s totally possible to find a Chinese bride without leaving your home in 2023.