Dating Japanese Women: Where & How to Meet Japanese Girls
If you visit any Asian dating site, you’ll find many Japanese women genuinely interested in foreign guys there. Thanks to these Japanese dating sites,
Western men can start dating Japanese girls without even leaving their homes—but even though it’s easy to start chatting with Japanese girls today, dating them successfully is still not the easiest task in the world.
IMPORTANT: If you want to go straight to the step-by-step guide to meeting a Japanese woman, click here.
Here, we’ll make it a bit easier for you. For those who want to know everything about Japanese women, but don’t want to read a lot, here are the main facts:
- The best way to meet a Japanese woman is online dating. works particularly well here.
- They are very calm. Both young women from this country and ladies in their 40s and 50s are soft-spoken, preferring to accommodate rather than confront. They are not used to debates and don’t strive to prove themselves right in every situation—instead, they tend to maintain harmony with the other person and agree with them.
- Although Japanese women can be called “traditional” in some respects, they are much more Westernized than ladies from other Asian countries. It’s all about the mix of Japanese culture with its traditional values and Western culture with its gender equality and its concept of an independent, confident, and strong woman.
- They are ambitious, educated, and hard-working. Japan is certainly not your typical Asian country in this regard—the women consider education and career extremely important.
- They look gorgeous. Let’s be honest: that’s one of the main reasons why dating in Japan has become so popular over the last decades. Japanese ladies are incredibly beautiful—it’s about their natural beauty, excellent makeup skills, healthy lifestyle and diets.
- Having a Japanese wife means having a loyal partner who will always support you—that’s how it always works in Japanese couples.
- They don’t have many children. Actually, the Japanese fertility rate is one of the lowest rates  in the world—it’s only 1.34 children per woman, which is much lower than the fertility rate in the US. The country’s birth rate is constantly falling and although this problem is recognized by the government , little can be done to fix it.
- Japanese women tend to have kids in their 30s. The average age of childbearing  in this country is 31.3 years old, which is one of the highest ages of childbearing in Asia. In this regard, Japan is much closer to Western countries than to other countries in the region.
- Japanese women are very educated—64% of 25-34-year-old ladies had a tertiary qualification  in 2019, while it’s only 59% for Japanese men of the same age group.
- 19% of Japanese guys in their 20s and 26.5% of Japanese men in their 30s have no plans to get married. For women, these numbers are lower (14% and 25.4%, respectively). This is one of the main reasons why Japanese girls start dating men from other countries—they are often more marriage-minded than men from Japan.
- Japan has a very low divorce rate  (1.8 divorces per 1,000 people). It’s all about financial and cultural reasons—the financial dependency between spouses is pretty high, and divorce is still considered a negative thing  in this country.
How to meet a Japanese woman?
You can meet foreign women from Japan offline, actually. Just buy tickets to Tokyo and try approaching women on the streets, nightclubs, or other places where younger couples meet today.
Technically, it’s possible, and your chances of finding a girlfriend are pretty high. Women in Japan love foreigners, and they often speak English.
So, you’ll easily find a single lady who would be interested in dating a non-Japanese.
- ❌ The first problem here is the price. A flight to Japan will cost you at least $700-$1,000 , and a trip to this country will cost you $200-$400 per day , which is certainly not that cheap if compared to other countries in the region.
- ❌ The second problem is the language barrier. Meeting girls while walking down the street might not be for everyone—it’s a pretty stressful situation even in your country! Not to mention that this is a country where only 30% (or less) of people speak English  at any level at all and only 2-8% are fluent English speakers.
If you don’t want to waste time and money, you can try online dating platforms.
- ✅ Most of them are not free to use, but they are not that costly either—you’ll need to pay around $100-$200 per month to chat with dozens of Japanese girls.
- ✅ The language barrier isn’t the problem you need to worry about, too—most girls on these sites speak English quite well.
- ✅ And it’s obviously more convenient and comfortable than going to another country and trying to approach foreign women there.
Here are the top 3 dating sites in Japan:
If you choose the online dating option, here are the main steps you should follow:
- Choose a reliable Japanese dating platform. You will have to choose the best dating website available right now because if you don’t, your dating experience will be spoiled from the very beginning. Read the reviews and test the sites to find the most trusted, reliable, and popular ones—and don’t forget to check if the profiles on those sites are real or not.
- Create an attractive dating profile. Upload your best pictures, write a catchy and interesting bio and profile description, and pay for a premium subscription or credits even if it’s not necessary for communication—premium profiles always get much more attention from other users. Pay special attention to your profile pictures: if you don’t have any good photos yet, taking a photo shoot might be a great idea.
- Find the woman according to your preferences. The search filters are always paid on the dating sites (at least the basic ones), so you can start searching for women without paying anything. Use all the search tools available, and don’t forget to answer all the questions during the registration—that’s how you’ll make it easier for women to find your profile.
- Chat with her. Start chatting with the girls you like most. Most Japanese dating platforms are not free to use when it comes to messaging, so you’ll need to buy credits or pay for a premium subscription to get access to communication tools. Once you start chatting with the ladies, follow some basic rules: be respectful, be honest, show that you have serious plans, and try to keep the conversation going.
- Meet her in real life. If you’re searching for an online relationship, you can skip this step. In any other case, you’ll have to meet your Japanese girlfriend in person sooner or later. We recommend you not waste time—if a woman rejects you and says she’s not ready to meet you yet, something might be wrong with her. However, it’s up to you to choose.
Read on to find out what you need to do to bring your future girlfriend to the United States.
How to bring your Japanese girlfriend to the US?
Americans can date Japanese people, marry them, and bring them to the US. Your girlfriend from Japan will be able to enter the country on a K-1 visa, CR-1 visa, or B-2 visa. The most common type of visa is the first one—hundreds of Japanese girls enter the US on a K-1 visa  every single year. Here’s how to get it:
- Meet your Japanese girlfriend at least once before proposing and bringing her to the US. Make sure you’ll be able to prove the legitimacy of your relationship later—make photographs, save hotel reservations and tickets, etc.
- Propose to her and plan your wedding in the US. There’s no legal requirement that you have a wedding ceremony planned before applying for a K-1 visa, but having such plans will most likely help your partner get her visa.
- File Form I-129F, wait for the petition to be approved, then file Form DS-160, and pay the visa fee. After that, your bride will attend the interview (here, she’ll have to show all the previously mentioned photos, tickets, and messages).
- Then, she’ll be able to enter the US. You’ll have to marry within 90 days after arrival.
The cost for a K-1 visa is around $1,000. You’ll also need to pay for the Form I-485 (adjustment of status) after the marriage. The total cost will be around $2,025 .
Final thoughts with tips and tricks
“Dating a Japanese lady is certainly a great idea. These women are perfect for a serious relationship. They are incredibly beautiful, know how to make their partners happy, and are always loyal to their husbands. More importantly, they love dating foreign men—just visit any international dating site, and you’ll see what we’re talking about here.
There are many cultural differences between American and Japanese society and between American and Japanese dating etiquette. Here, you’ll find some tips that will help any non-Japanese to impress a woman from Japan.
- ✅ Be kind and calm. According to a survey  conducted in 2021 in Japan, the absolute majority of women in this country consider kindness and a “calm manner” to be the most important traits when it comes to a romantic relationship.
- ✅ Financial stability matters, too. An average Japanese woman isn’t looking for a billionaire, of course, but you still need to have a good career to impress her.
- ✅ Be loyal to your partner—Japanese guys are not the most faithful and loyal to their girlfriends and wives, so most Japanese women (especially the young ones) think that fidelity is a very important trait of their ideal partner.
- ✅ Be punctual. Japan is obsessed with punctuality, and Japanese people are never late to their dates, classes, or offices. In this regard, they are the exact opposite of Latin American women who think it’s totally ok to be late for every appointment.
- ✅ Look your best. Physical attraction is necessary during a romantic relationship, and both Japanese men and women know it. You can’t impress a Japan girl with that “tourist look,” obviously—you’ll have to look as perfect as possible on the dates to make a great first impression.
- ❌ Don’t split the bill. It’s ok to do it on your fifth or tenth date with a Japanese girl, but not on the first one.
- ❌ Don’t expect a public display of affection from a Japanese girl. That’s just not how Japanese dating culture works—in this country, people typically don’t even hug in public, not to mention kisses.
- ❌ Don’t wait for too long before moving things forward. Although many Japanese girls are not interested in getting married in their 20s, a lot of them actually are—and the chances are pretty high that you’ll meet thousands of marriage-minded Japanese girls on dating sites even if they are in their early 20s.
Most common questions about dating Japanese women
What is the best site to date Japanese women?
The Japanese dating scene is pretty large, but the number of reliable dating apps isn’t that high. The best dating service for Japanese women willing to date foreigners is EasternHoneys—we tested this site and were impressed by its premium features, messaging tools, and the quality of profiles.
Do Japanese women like American men?
Yes, they do. However, it’s not that they dream of meeting an American man because of financial stability or because the US is a better country—it’s all about the character traits of men from the US. American men tend to be more loyal, caring, and marriage-minded than modern Japanese guys.
Will you experience any language barrier with a Japanese woman?
The language barrier is always a problem when it comes to international dating, but dating a Japanese girl is an exception. The ladies from this country learn English at school, and most of the ladies who use international dating sites are fluent English speakers.
- Fertility rate, total (births per woman) | Data
- The Mystery of Why Japanese People Are Having So Few Babies – The Atlantic
- Japan Age of childbearing, 1950-2022 – knoema.com
- Education GPS – Japan – Overview of the education system (EAG 2023)
- Japan Is No Place for Single Mothers – The Atlantic
- From Batsu To Maru: Japan’s Shift In Attitude Toward Untying the Knot – Savvy Tokyo
- Cheap Flights to Japan from $194 – KAYAK
- Cost of a Trip to Japan & the Cheapest Time to Visit Japan | Champion Traveler
- Why Japan Doesn’t Learn English
- FY Nonimmigrant Visa Issued
- How much does a 90 day Fiancé Visa cost? | K-1 Visa | US Visa
- Japan: important traits in a partner according to women by age 2021 | Statista