Dominican Dating Culture: All You Should Know About Dating In The Dominican Republic
What is the Dominican dating culture really like? Is it like in the US or a completely different new world? How to succeed if you decide to approach Dominican women or Dominican men, and should you even do it? You’ll find the answers to these and many more questions in our guide.
5 interesting facts about dating in the Dominican Republic
Understanding a dating culture in another country can be challenging, and of course, Dominican culture is definitely no exception to this rule. The good news is, you can take a look at some facts and understand what you can generally expect from dating Dominican men or Dominican girls.
- The gender ratio is nearly equal in the country, so there’s no such fierce competition between Dominican women as, for example, in some European countries. The ratio of females to males is 50.07% to 49.93%, which means there are around 16 more Dominican women than Dominican men.
- Still, we can’t say that Dominicans don’t compete. If you ask a Dominican woman what dating is like in the country, she’s likely to mention that there’s a lot of competition both between ladies and guys, and it’s usually about appearance. So yes, beauty standards here are pretty strict, and both genders must meet them.
- A lot of people in the Dominican Republic are looking for a partner online. According to statistics, there are around 5 million online dating users in the country, and not all of them are looking for a Dominican partner. Many Dominicans tend to expand their search and look for a perfect match overseas.
- Dominicans start relationships fast. A Dominican guy who likes a woman won’t wait for too long to make the first and all the further moves. Things are moving fast in the country, and unfortunately, they also end fast if anything goes wrong. Still, making more attempts to achieve the desired result sooner definitely makes sense.
- There’s no room for stigmatizing. Don’t think that a Dominican person will be easy—in fact, one-night stands and hookups are something of a low class in this country. But if passion and emotions are strong, a couple won’t be judged for premarital sex or public displays of affection. It’s just a normal thing not only in the Dominican Republic but across Latin America.
So, these are the basic things you should know before you start taking some real steps to start dating Dominican women or men. The next important question is how you can meet them.
Where to meet Dominican singles?
Let’s say you’ve already learned enough about Dominican relationship culture and want to find the Dominican woman or the Dominican man of your dreams. In this case, you need to choose between two options—go online or search for a future partner offline.
💬 💑 Online dating in the Dominican Republic
Of course, most foreign singles who’d like to start relationships with singles from the Dominican Republic prefer to search for a perfect match online instead of changing their lives completely and immigrating to the country. So where can they find potential partners? The answer is simple—they can do it on dating sites that can be divided into two main categories:
- Mainstream global sites and apps. These are Tinder, OkCupid, and other popular platforms that connect tens of millions of people worldwide. Usually, on such apps, messaging is free, and so is matching, but the only problem with finding a match in another country is that local singles are often skeptical about foreigners who approach them online.
- Niche websites with Latin or Dominican singles. These are the platforms that were designed specifically for Latin or Dominican singles only and those who’d like to meet them online. Naturally, the chance of meeting a Dominican man or Dominican woman seeking a relationship with a foreigner is much higher on such platforms, but in most cases, members need to upgrade their membership plan or buy credits.
So, if you are 100% sure that you want to meet singles from this particular country, just consider all the pros and cons and make your choice. Of course, Dominican dating sites work better for international singles overall, but you need to choose such a site carefully, and you can see some great options in the table below.
🍸💑 Offline dating in the Dominican Republic
Those who like Dominican culture and don’t mind staying in the Dominican Republic for a pretty long time or even immigrating to this country can meet singles in real life. Prices are affordable, people are friendly, and the nightlife is just great, so if you are ready to take such a big step, you can choose between the largest cities, for example, Santo Domingo, Santiago De Los Caballeros, or Santo Domingo Oeste. And just live their life, meeting new people everywhere, like in the gym, Spanish classes, bars, or restaurants. Also, a person who moves to the Dominican Republic can upload one of the mainstream apps—considering the fact that you already are in the country, you’re more likely to get more likes and matches on nearly any platform.
Differences between dating customs in the Dominican Republic and the US
Dominican dating culture vs American dating culture, what would this battle look like? In fact, there are no such big gaps and differences, but they still exist.
- Infidelity is more common than Dominican people can admit. Unfortunately, many Dominican men don’t believe it’s a big problem, unlike Dominican girls. That’s not part of Latin dating, and, of course, it largely depends on the person, but the fact is cheating is way more common in the Dominican Republic than in the United States.
- Dominican men show more affection than Americans. Dominican men are usually more passionate, and they definitely don’t see anything wrong in public displays of affection. On the other hand, American men and couples overall are more reserved, which distinguishes Latin American culture from American one.
- Dominicans are more jealous than Americans overall. Some say that this is just another stereotype about Latin culture, but a lot of people agree that jealousy is very common in most countries, including the Dominican Republic. Hanging out with female or male friends will hardly be appreciated by Dominican women or Dominican men.
- Both men and women in the Dominican Republic are more family-oriented. That’s part of Latin heritage—Dominican families are stronger than ever, and both men and women believe a serious relationship should end up with marriage. As a result, Dominicans are more focused on their relationships and devoted to their families overall.
- Dominicans commit much faster. In Dominican culture, things are moving much faster. A Dominican man or a Dominican woman is likely to fall in love pretty easily, and these are authentic feelings. Both American men and American women usually need more time to start thinking that something serious might be happening between them and their partners.
These are the most important things you should know about Dominican men and Dominican women. Dating culture in this country is different, that’s true, but if you know the basic rules, you will take the right steps.
How to succeed in the Dominican dating scene as a newcomer?
We also have some extra tips for those who’re sure they want to enter the Latin dating scene and want to avoid the most common mistakes.
- Dress to impress. As we’ve noted previously, in Dominican culture, appearance matters. Moreover, it matters a lot both for women and men. You don’t need to look like a top model to start dating Dominican women or men, but you should dress up if you’re going to impress someone from this country.
- Learn the language. It’s a Spanish-speaking country, and though neither Dominican men nor Dominican women usually expect foreigners to speak Spanish like natives, if you learn at least a few common phrases, it will be much appreciated by locals.
- Learn more about the culture. Learn more about the history, culture, and Dominican cuisine—that’s a huge bonus for every foreigner who’s going to approach Dominican men or women, a sign of respect Dominicans won’t be able to resist.
- Show you’re not one of those Americans who are here for hookups only. If you’re going to start a relationship with someone from the Dominican Republic, let your potential partner know your goals and that you’re looking for something serious, not for one-night stands.
That’s all you should know about dating Dominican women and men—if you feel that’s what you really need, don’t be afraid to make the first move.
Our Editor’s conclusion
“If you’re going to meet and date a Dominican man or a Dominican woman, of course, you should learn more about Dominican culture first. It definitely has its peculiarities, which are neither good nor bad. Like in any other culture, they just exist, and you should consider all the local dating customs before you go to the country to find a perfect match or join one of the dating apps or sites where you can potentially meet Dominican singles. That will just speed up the process and improve the experience overall.”